Floor Preparation for an Armorcoat Coating Sytem.
Before applying any Armorcoat product, it is vital to entire process to have a properly prepped floor space. Although each application is unique, this should provide a general guildline to your DIY application. Armorcoat recommends that customers who run into any issues contact our representatives for help. Feel free to email us or call 1.888.592.7667 where someone will clarify any issue you may have. NOTE: Again, this should be used as a general guideline, please check your instructions provided for specific details on any Armorcoat system.
- Your first step is to sweep and dust any debris on the floor area you'll be coating. A dry, dust free area is essential to a proper coating. It's also important that the area you're coating is free from serious cracks and damage.
- Use a broom and wet-dry vacuum to thoroughly clean debris from the floor. Remove grease with a degreaser and stiff brush. Rinse the degreaser and allow the floor to dry. You may also use a neutral cleaning agent to break up the heavily soiled areas instead of a degreaser. Heavy stains may require a pressure washer.
- For the acid wash, mix one part of muriatic acid with six parts of water. Carefully pour the acid into the water, to minimize splashing. Wear eye protection and gloves when working with these liquids. After using muriatic acid, mix a generous amount of baking soda with water and pour it over the floor. This will neutralize the acid. Once you've finished the whole floor, give it a thorough rinsing and allow to dry, preferably for 24 to 48 hours with forced ventilation to aid process.
- Please refer to your instructions for the mix and application process of your particular kit!
*As soon as the epoxy mix is ready, start applying it. You will have no more than two hours to spread the epoxy, and even less time in hot weather.
Use a 3-inch paintbrush to cut in along the edges, then use a 9-in, 12-in, and 18-in roller with a 3/8-in. nap roller cover (with extension handle) to spread epoxy on the floor. This work will go quicker if you have a helper handling the cut-in work. Maintain a wet edge by rolling over the edges of previously applied epoxy, and be sure to roll an even coating. Again, a helper can speed this process up. For the second coat, wait at least 12 hours before application.
- Apply the topcoat after the basecoat is thoroughly dry. There may be multiply topcoat applications depending on the DIY system you have purchased. Topcoats are chemically resistant and add a nice finish to the floor, especially if you are using decorative flake system, adding a clear urethane top coat will produce better results.
- Let the floor dry! Don't start walking on the new epoxy surface for at least 24 hours, and plan to wait at least several more days (and preferably a week) before pulling the car back into the garage.
DIY Floor Coatings
Discover Armorcoat's Do-It-Yourself floor coating systems. Our Decorative Flake System protects, beautifies, and strengthens garages, patios, pool sides, and even driveways.
Armorcoat provides both DIY coating solutions - linked directly to the left - or a complete professional setup and installation.
Armorcoat concrete and masonary floor coatings are industry leading products. Whether you're a retail store, warehouse, marina, school institution, fire department, or even an airport, we have a solution for you!
Armorcoat has a number of solutions that provide high levels of chemical and abrasion resistancy. Protecting your plants, equipment and people should be a top priorty for any industrial business.